Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Beautiful October Days


It's so hard to believe we are in the middle of October already. Days are blending together, so much to do...too much to do. Sometimes in order to take a deep breath and slow down we have to force it upon ourselves. I did just that over this past weekend. I picked up my granddaughter and kept her overnight. We had dinner together with grandpa and she played a while with Frankie, the new kitten. She was so pleased to see Frankie was doing ok. Then we read her homework assignment. A book entirely beyond her reading level but she did pretty good sounding out the words. A nice, quiet relaxing evening.


Sunday afternoon we went through McDonald's drive-thru and then took our lunch to a picnic bench at Homer's Pond. The sun was shining and the temp was in the 70's but it was windy. The wind made for an interesting lunch to say the least. We had to keep a hand or elbow on everything. The camera I brought along with a photo shoot in mind came in handy to hold down the napkins. It was very funny and I do love seeing and hearing her laughter. After lunch we went walking on the walking trail around the pond. She had so much fun finding odd places for me to photograph her. My little 9 year old granddaughter is not afraid of dirt or climbing at all, not one bit. She's not all tomboy mind you, but not all froo-froo either.
She found this boulder and had to climb it:
Then she hid behind a tree and peeked out at me:
This log was meant for sitting on:
"Don't worry grandma, I won't fall in."

This looked like a good place to rest and give grandma another big smile:


These were growing all over and she wanted to pick one. I convinced her not to but she insisted I had to take a picture, so I took two. I plan to print them for her so she can remember how beautiful Homer's Pond is during the cold winter months that are ahead of us.


If you haven't taken a nature walk with a child yet this fall do try to. It was amazing the things she seen that I had never noticed before. Our leaves aren't changing color as nicely as I would have liked yet, but I do enjoy the green!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is amazing what they find and learn outside....We need to go for more walks, nature is a wonderful balm and teacher. Thanks for the nice walk and the photos of your granddaighter are sweet. How nice that you have the chance to build such a great bond with her.

Anonymous said...

look at that smile, such a sweet child. it looks like you both had a wonderful time together. I hope you are getting more and more time together.
i love being outside with my children, they never tire of being outside and always find much to do, i love watching them and learning from them.
have a beautiful day and thank you so much for you comment to my last post.
xo