Sunday, October 26, 2008

It's the Simple Things in Life.....


It really is the simple, little things in life that excite us. Case in point, my husbands discovery of a double yolked egg. Chuck was nice enough to fix breakfast for us this weekend and he always gives me my plate first. Just as I'm poking at my egg I hear an excited "honey, look at this". There in the skillet was a two yolked egg. I knew he hadn't pulled a fast one on me because he hadn't had but 2 eggs in front of him to cook and one was on my plate. I hurried to get the camera to take a picture of this phenomenon. Phenomenon to us anyway as it was the first time either of us had seen a two yolk egg. I did some searching online and found a statement about double yolked eggs on wikipedia.com but it was flagged for no source shown so I searched further and found PoultryHelp.com. There I found the following:

"Double Yolkers appear when ovulation occurs too rapidly, or when one yolk somehow gets "lost" and is joined by the next yolk. Double yolkers may be by a pullet whose productive cycle is not yet well synchronized. They're occasionally laid by a heavy-breed hen, often as an inherited trait."

There is also a section on wikipedia about Lou Mitchell's Restaurant in Chicago, Illinois using only double yolked eggs. Interesting!

So Chuck had the excitement of cooking and eating a double yolked egg today and I learned something new? Have any of you ever seen a double yolked egg before?

3 comments:

lori vliegen said...

hi tess...

thanks for visiting my blog today and leaving such a nice comment! i'm glad that i found your blog as a result of my inspiration monday blog feature. i totally admire your writing talent! i'm looking forward to visiting your blog often!
p.s. thanks for sharing the double yolked egg...i've never seen that before!

Anonymous said...

We have definitely had double yokes before from our own hens. Maybe 3-4 and they are always a treat. I don't want to think about how the restaurant tests to see how they are double yolkers.

Teresa aka Tess said...

apron thrift girl:
I thought about that briefly and like you I don't really want to know either. Gees, magic glasses maybe :-)