Monday, August 24, 2009

The Oxford Book of American Verse

Greetings friends,

I thought it was about time I get to creating another post. I wasn't sure what to post about and while looking for something else in my basement I came across this:

I have no idea where I got it. Maybe a find at the Goodwill Store or a yard sale. Maybe a left-over from my mother-in-law. She loved poetry too. All I know is finding this little book has been a joy. The first page reads:

The Oxford Book of American Verse

"Chosen and with Introduction by F.O. Matthiessen"

New York

Oxford University Press

The Copyright is 1950 and this book is a third printing dated 1952.

The Table of Contents contains a list of 50 poets including the likes of Conrad Aiken, John Peale Bishop, E.E. Cummings, Emily Dickinson, T.S. Eliot, Robert Frost, Edna St. Vincent Millay, Edgar Allen Poe, Carl Sandburgh and many I admit never having heard of. Of course I skipped straight to Emily Dickinson, one of my favorite poets.

'I felt a cleavage in my mind'
I felt a cleavage in my mind
As if my brain had split,
I tried to match it, seam by seam,
But could not make them fit.

The thought behind I strove to join
Unto the thought before,
But sequence ravelled out of reach
Like balls upon a floor.

I have felt exactly the same way before and I'm sure my Bobbie has. Oh and I must share this that Emily penned as I found it rather humorous.

'Faith is a fine invention'
Faith is a fine invention
For gentlemen who see,
But microscopes are prudent
In an emergency!

'Tis true, 'tis true; ah but faith and a good prayer do help too.
So since we are on the subject of poetry how about this. Leave a comment and tell me who your favorite poet is. I'll see if I can find a passage for you from my book.

Oh and don't forget to enter my giveaway, then you'll be reading some of my poetry too. Not nearly as good as the poets in my book but I hope you won't be too disappointed. My giveaway deadline is August 31st. Please comment for the giveaway on that post and tell me who your favorite poet is on this post. Fun! Fun!
Many Blessings,
Tess

1 comment:

lori vliegen said...

what a fun book to find unexpectedly....it's perfect for you!! thanks for sharing the emily poems with us! :)