Friday, July 30, 2010

5X5

Winter Song - Almost Finished
This is for a 5X5 mixed media swap.
We are to make 5 - 5X5's with a Christmas or Winter theme.
I will get 5 in return. I started this and then hit a "block". It was as if what I wanted to do with it just left me. Last night I picked up this one and another that I'm working on just like it and Bam! I got a lot done on both and am still not finished. Soon though as I wrote down what else I want to do. Then I will be on the lookout for more winter birds. I used a song page from an old hymnal I found at the Goodwill. I love how the song title fits in with the theme of my 5X5. Question: Should I leave the tail feathers as is or cut them off? I like as is but wonder. The 5 swap items are meant to be strung together and hung on the wall. So what do you all think?
Be Happy, Be Healthy, Be You,
Tess

9 comments:

Bea said...

Leave the tail. If the person receiving it feels the need to chop it off they can but it look right so I vote LEAVE IT. :)Bea

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

OH my gosh. This is gorgeous. I'm drooling all over my keyboard right now. Love, love, love this.

My advice (hey, you asked) is to leave the feathers. If the recipient wants to cut them, s/he can do so. But don't mess with success. And I bet no one will want you to cut them, either.

Threads of Inspiration said...

I'm glad I found your blog, your piece is wonderful. As to your question, I love the tail feathers breaking the boundary of the piece. You might need to put some stiffer paper behind it and cut to shape so it doesn't get floppy or easily bent.

Suztats said...

I think you should definitely leave the tail. You're just playing 'outside the box' and extending your beautifyl 5zie, and that just makes more to love! love! love!

Jillayne said...

Leave it be - please. The squares are most likely to be strung vertically so it won't matter at all. I love this piece, especially how it extends. It doesn't alter the 5" thing at all and you have me thinking now... so, so, good!

Teresa aka Tess said...

A big thank you to all of you for your enthusiastic and encouraging comments. The tail feathers will stay. I'll be on a search for wintery bird pics this weekend. I have several old calendars to look through. They are great for cutting up and collaging with.

Threads of Inspiration said...

Tess, I'm so glad you decided to leave the feathers!!! It makes for a very intersting piece. Thanks for stopping by my blog!

Linda Bob Grifins Korbetis Hall said...

http://itistimetothinkformyself.blogspot.com/2010/07/pick-one-or-two-to-share-follow-rule-no.html
hope that you enjoy one or two,
Happy August!
Smiles!
;)

Zanil Hyder said...

I found your blog after i found a comment of yours in another blog.You have got a nice blog.

About your post
Leave the tail as it,but do consider filling up the vacant space with something.