Friday, June 12, 2009

We've been seeing lots of these lately.



Sometimes I see things in the clouds.





Do you see HIS hand? I do!
We're leaving for our working vacation tomorrow. We'll be in the woods at a Boy Scout camp for one week. I enjoy the other staff members, the boys, the activities and the communing with nature that takes place. It's fun teaching them and learning from them.
My daughters will be "camping" at our house to watch the place and our cats.
In 2005 I made a book after camp to remember the fun had that year. I wanted it to look old and have lost of colors from nature. I chose to use scraps of leather. I did a lot of hand sewing and added lots of beads.
I used a lot of paint to muddy and dirty-up the pages. I then painted on photo paper before printing to it.
I added tags and stickers and other such things along the way.

These are photos of the tribe of the Golden Eagle and just a few of the pages in the book. It's a camping organization withing Boy Scouting at Camp Hansen. To respect the true Native Americans we do not apply paint to our faces. We design our costumes as we like. Some chose a specific tribe to emulate and some just dream up a design of their own. Many do all of the work on their costumes by hand. i made my dress and leggings as well as my head band. The boys (and adults as I did too) have to go through a day of silence and a day of service. It's a lot of fun and teaches so much such as respect for self, others and nature. I hope we don't see any or many rain clouds this next week. If so, we will be fine. Remember our motto is:
Be Prepared!
Have a great week,
Tess

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks for your reminder and you too have a great week.

turquoise cro said...

O! Yes! I can see HIS hand in those dreamy clouds!!!Thank YOU for the pics! Clouds are one of my FAV for sure! I LOVE your lil book! Have FUN Tess! I know YOU will! Camping out is just WONDERFUL! I haven't for a long time because of my bad back but these days my back hasn't bothered me sooOOoo much soOOOOoo I should try camping out again! The colors are just more brilliant camping out because I guess YOU are outside more and notice more!!

lori vliegen said...

hi tess! i love your cloud photos...i see things in them too (that was a favorite pastime of mine as a kid!)! your camp book is FABULOUS! you've done some really creative things inside....i love it! :)

Jamie said...

I DO see his hand! Wonderful photos. I hope you have a great time with the scouts. I know you must be an awesome leader:) Love, Jamie

SarahGaunt said...

Hah! Clouds are great and yeah I see the hand too :) Great book!

Teresa aka Tess said...

Hi, I'm back. A big thank you to all of you for your comments. They mean a great deal to me.

Mescrap said...

Beautiful clouds !!!!!

I love the leather's album that you make. Cool !