Thursday, July 17, 2008

Words

Do You Call Your Children Names When You Are Angry or Frustrated?
I wrote this poem many years ago after hearing a father do just that. I hope this poem will give someone the opportunity to think and to change the way they deal with their child and anger.

Words

YOU BRAT!
CUT IT OUT!
WOULD YOU SHUT UP!
YOU UGLY MESS!
BE QUIET!
SIT DOWN...NOW...

Don't yell at me,
Don't scream or shout,
I'm just a child-
An angel in God's eyes,
I look to you for guidance,
A safe comforting voice.
I listen to every word you speak,
And hear you with my heart.
I'm but a child-
And you are my hero,
A giant angel in my eyes.
Please
Don't yell at me,
Don't scream or shout.
I'm just a child-
You're child,
A gift from God,
And I believe-
Every Word You Say!

Now read that last line again. Children really do believe every word we adults use. Our words can lift up a child or tear that child down. It is the same with many adults. We look to each other for guidance, inspiration, acceptance, love; and we can tear each other down with mere words. Let's use kind words today towards ourselves and towards others.

No comments: